Camping In Ontario is here to help you make a success of your campground business by providing you with the tools and resources to be successful. As a member of Camping In Ontario, you are not alone: the association staff and other campground owners are always there for support. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Camping In Ontario at 1-877-672-2226 at any time.
What Is Camping In Ontario?
Camping In Ontario is the representative body of the privately owned and operated campgrounds in Ontario. While every campground in Ontario is not a member, the more than 400 members are leaders in the development and promotion of camping in Ontario for the economic benefit of our province.
Camping In Ontario, as a vital and active stakeholder in tourism, supports member campgrounds in the Province of Ontario by educating campground owners, marketing to the public, and advocating to government.
Why Should You Become a Member?
To learn — To stay informed of changes that affect your business — To grow your business — To make more money — To save money — To access economical marketing opportunities
When you join Camping In Ontario you join an interactive network — a community like no other. Members helping members is the core value of Camping In Ontario, and it shows. The open flow of information and problem solving between members is unparalleled in any other industry. Plus, the Camping In Ontario staff team is always working on your behalf. Whether lobbying government on issues that will affect your business or negotiating cost savings on the products and services that you use everyday, we are working for you.
And finally, there is no other place where your marketing dollar will go farther. As a member, your campground listing is seen by over 170,000 campers who are devoted to the Camping in Ontario directory. Campground information is viewed 1.4 million times by over 230,000 campers each year on this website - www.campinginontario.ca.
So what are you waiting for? Join now and start reaping the benefits!
To Qualify for Membership
Campgrounds that are owned or operated by private business may qualify for membership. Members must agree to our Code of Ethics and agree that your campground falls within our definition of a camping. We define "camping" as Camping is an outdoor recreational activity. The participants known as campers leave their permanent residence and enjoy amenities and natural features of the outdoors. A campground is a designated area where camping takes place.
Full Campground Membership Benefits
Top Five Advocacy Issues
While these are the issues that will receive priority attention of the staff and Board, other issues that affect the campground industry will also be addressed.
- Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act: We have reviewed and provided comment on the new standards currently being developed: Communications; Employment; Built Environment.
- Occupational Health & Safety Act: We will work with Workplace Safety & Prevention Services to deliver timely information pertaining to changes in the health and safety environment, inspection blitzes by the Ministry of Labour, and lobby for ongoing reduced premiums for industry rate groups with WSIB.
- Tourism: We will work with industry partners and government officials on the outcomes and implementation of the Tourism Competitiveness Study.
- Red Tape: We are working with government to reduce and streamline the amount of red tape and regulations that campground owners face.
- Septic: We are working with government to affect changes to the septic regulations.
Priorities and Key Activities
The Board of Directors identified the main priorities for the association:
- Continue to build membership with an emphasis on Northern Ontario and associate members.
- Conduct research (Occupancy stats, Rate survey, Associate member survey).
- Grow our online reservation service.
- Increase marketing and promotional activities to promote camping in Ontario and drive the camping public to our website.
- Continue to develop/sustain relationships with key government contacts.
- Continue to build and solidify partnerships with industry associations, service suppliers, the media, etc.
- Develop formal positions on key issues affecting the industry.
- Increase campground participation in convention and regional meetings.
- Increase associate participation in CampEx and regional meetings.
Promoting Camping in Ontario and Your Campground
Promoting camping in Ontario and your campground is one of the association's main priorities:
- 170,000 copies of the 2014 Camping In Ontario Directory will be distributed.
- Participation in 12 RV & outdoor consumer shows in Ontario, Quebec, Manitoba.
- Participation in 22 RV & outdoor consumer shows in the United States.
- Advertising in select newspapers and in magazines.
- Year-round mall front poster at the Ontario Travel Information Centre in downtown Toronto.
- Posters and digital ads in 11 year-round Ontario Travel Information Centres — combined visitor count 1,255,000!
We are relaunching www.campinginontario.ca in 2013. The new website will offer more advertising opportunities.
Link your existing email to the campinginontario.ca site: FREE
- Enhance your campground listing on the campinginontario.ca site: $101/year.
- Get a featured campground listing on the home page or campground search page: call for pricing.
- Hotlink your website to the campinginontario.ca site: $33/year
- Talk to us about getting your campground on the Reservation system. Costing varies on number of sites.
Networking and Learning
- Annual Convention — Network with other campground owners and learn about the trends and issues facing your business.
- CampEx, our annual trade show — Brings the companies that do business with the campground industry, right to you.
- Regional Meetings — Meet fellow campground owners in your area to talk about common issues and concerns.
Communication and Information Sharing
Member Cost-Saving Benefits
- The Update newsletter, mailed four times a year, provides insights on trends, training, and campground issues.
- The Resource Library, an online information centre, covers topics that affect your business. You'll also find more than 35 standard templates that you can download and use. You will access this information with a member login.
- The Forum, an electronic cracker barrel, allows members to help members with campground issues.
- Email and fax blasts provide breaking information.
- The Buyer's Guide lists services and products to campgrounds.
- Campground Owner's Manual. Access this valuable tool, by the chapter, on the website.
The following cost-saving programs have been negotiated especially for our members.